(Are you coming or going from unfamiliarplace.com ?)

Sunday, May 10, 2009

divinities good & bad

So I finished overhauling Divinities. Want to hear what I did? OK, well I'll tell you anyway.

-Interior Art (including Part frontpieces and Map)
-Cover Art (front and back), including blurb and review on back
-ISBN, so it can be sold in retail (and guaranteed on Amazon - long delay for reviewing it to come)
-Rewritten beginning and end (prologue needed to address the rest of the book; the end was depressing, and the book meant much less than with the new ending).
-General awesomeness

Besides that, a million formatting issues were fixed (these never were problems all at once, they crept up here and there - like trying to hold down an octopus...), including that

All pages are square in the center, not floating off sides or eaten by margins. No page numbers are missing or extra. Text is of an appropriate size and font. Paragraphs are not orphaned across pages. Important sections' first pages are always on the right. Copyright page accurately describes the book. Picture of me updated, bio rewritten.

Funtimes, eh? Defs, yo. Anyway so with the ISBN, one can legally sell it in bookstores and online bookstores. This step begins with the publisher (Lulu Inc) sends off the manuscript to Amazon.

---below this line is complaining---

Now to complain! They don't do that unless you order a "proof copy" to review and make sure absolutely nothing is wrong with it. Fine! Sounds good. So I did. It cost $25 to manufacture and ship at a more reliable shipping method (ask me later). When it arrived, I reviewed it, was thoroughly pleased, and discovered one error.

So of course I fixed the error and re-saved the book, then went to click Approve! to send it on to Amazon. However, here comes the message: "
You have created a new revision; before you can approve it you must order a proof copy." BAH!!! It's for my own good, I know, and they don't even profit when I buy one. But to have to spend another $25 to see the newer copy of the book to make sure it's "fine" even though I know exactly what I did, how and what it is?? Nonsensediculous!

So I have to bypass this somehow. -sigh-.


No comments:

Post a Comment